Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Sunshine Citrus Muffins

T U E S D A Y S   W I T H   D O R I E
Special thanks to this week's host: Lauren of Bella Baker

A DAY WITHOUT SUNSHINE.  Or is that a day without orange juice? Anita Bryant is lurking here somewhere. I envisioned making these sunshine muffins when the sun flooded the kitchen window. Unfortunately I'm still waiting. But there's enough citrus in these little gems to make even the darkest of days somewhat brighter.
Made with lots of orange zest, lemon juice and with a cup of freshly-squeezed orange juice, they live up to their citrus name. Currants are mixed in (I soaked them in some grand marnier - any excuse to raid the liqueur cabinet), which give them just the right amount of dried fruit texture and flavor. Just before heading for the oven, I sprinkled some sanding sugar *sparkle sparkle* - to give them a little crunchy and sugary coat. These delightfully citrusy muffins have a light, almost spongy texture. Anita would approve.

marie: little mary sunshine
SPEAKING OF SUNSHINE.  I can't help but think of Little Mary Sunshine. "Mary" Marie Osborne (1911-2010) was a silent film child star - starring in her namesake film "Little Mary Sunshine" in 1916. She amassed a small fortune but by the time she turned 10, was penniless. Seemed her loving foster parents & managers "managed" to swindle and spend every last cent of their child's earnings. She passed away last year, at the grand old age of 90.

GOOD DAY SUNSHINE.
   – mike


22 comments:

Bella Baker said...

I am lucky and got to bake these on a day with lots and lots of sunshine! Your muffins look perfect!!! Thank you for baking with me!

Kayte said...

Those look and sound wonderful, that little soaking trick in the GM has my attention for "sometime I am doing that!" I haven't thought of Anita Bryant in too many years to even count...lol...blast from the past.

Spike said...

wow- I didn't know about little Mary Sunshine, so sad. The sun is finally out around here, just as I was eating the last muffin. Love your thought to use grand marnier!

Mary said...

Only the truly smart can link Little Mary Sunshine (my childhood nickname btw), Anita Bryant, and muffins in one post. I don my blogging hat to you this week.

Tia said...

they look sooo good. my muffins never look that good, so i made a loaf instead.
Buttercreambarbie

Cindy said...

I should have tried sanding sugar. I glazed a few with some orange glaze--but they didn't need it.
Delicious.

Kenn said...

You are my sunshine.. my only sunshine.. you make me happy, when skies are grey... or when you make muffins!
Divine! I have to agree with Mary.. great 'link' of muffins, Ms. Sunshine, and Anita. I wonder... is Anita Bryant still alive and kicking?

Jules Someone said...

These were very tasty! They certainly brightened up a grey weekend. My boy guest baked for me. Woo hoo!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Well Let me know when Anita is done lurking here so I can return. Blech. What a sour, rancid bit of waste she is! Unlike these muffins which look just great. I gots to get me some sanding sugar!

Peggy said...

Oh my gosh - you made me remember Anita Bryant!! I haven't heard that name in years. We are about to have some real sunshine here. Going to 80 degrees on Friday and I will be in heaven. Great muffins! Have a great week.

Nicole said...

I don't think we've had sunshine in two weeks in the Seattle area, but these helped a little bit. I can't always wait for sun where I live!

TeaLady said...

Little Mary Sunshine. I haven't heard her name in years. Seen a couple of the movies she was in. The Shirley Temple of her time.

A day with out sunshine!! Wouldn't that be, eh, like NIGHT!!!

Was sunny this a.m. when baked and they were tasty.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I feel so tame; my currants soaked in warm orange juice, but maybe Anita would approve of that? Way to end your post on a down note, although it was "sunshiney"!

Unknown said...

I wish I had a few of those muffins today on this gray, rainy afternoon. I'm starting to wonder if spring is ever going to get here....

I just realized I never updated my Reader when you moved your blog - I was starting to wonder why I wasn't getting your updates! :)

steph- whisk/spoon said...

grand marnier and sugar sparkle...both good calls! little mary sunshine was so cute.

Hindy said...

Two of my favourite things - sunshine and grand marnier. Atl east you had one. Nice addition!

nakedmindedmomma said...

These look divine! I make muffins about once a week for my 5 boys and I'm always looking for new recipes:)

Elaine said...

Those currants look like blueberries - I bet these would be really good with blueberries. I like pretty much anything with citrus and yours look like just the perfect breakfast treat. I really enjoyed the info about Little Mary Sunshine.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love the way your muffins sound. This was my first visit to your blog and they convinced me to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Valerie Gamine said...

Gorgeous photos! I could use a little Grand Marnier and oranges right about now...in a muffin, of course. :D

Anne said...

Your muffins look amazing, what stunning pictures!

Paula said...

Sanding sugar makes everything better--and your muffins already looked very good.