Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Lucky Shamrock Salt 'n Pepper Sandwich Cookies



LUCK. After this week's catastrophic event in Japan, one can't help but feel lucky. It's times like these that simple things mean so much. Like this wonderful little cream-filled Salt & Pepper Sandwich Cooky. Make sure to catch all the S&P Sandwich Cookies, along with the great recipe, over at Baked Sunday Mornings!




The authors of Baked Explorations must have had luck on their side with this sandwich cooky. The dough itself is a winner - a sharp, peppery-chocolate dough, rolled, cutout and sprinkled with a healthy dose (IS there such a thing?) of fleur de sel. I was pretty lucky that these sandwich cookies saw the light of day. My personal method for cutout cookies is:  1) make dough  2) chill  3) forget. Actually, it's not forgetfulness, just loss of interest. I like the measuring, mixing and pouring - just not the cutting, decorating and sprinkling.
such a saint.
Luckily, the filling was easy to prepare - I think tinting it green took me longer. And who doesn't love that Oreo-esque filling of Crisco, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and (just for luck) - a swig of rum? Happy Saint Patrick's Day.
     
   – mike o'shaughnessy



14 comments:

Kenn said...

Great idea to cut the cookies into a shamrock... being the good Irish boy you are. Top of the mornin' to ya!

Kayte said...

I just got Baked Explorations and am looking forward to making 90% of the recipes...this would be one of them. I love the shamrock idea, very nicely done, styled, and photographed, as usual. You make everything look special...it's always a party over here!

Candy said...

I love the sentiment of your post. We all are so lucky.

Love the shamrock shape and green frosting. Wish I had thought of that!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

I had a few shamrocks too.
Love ur cookie cutter , its the wilton one no?
I must get one too!
ur cookies and pics are so pretty.

Elaine said...

I love that you tinted the filling green and made shamrock cookies! I had completely forgotten St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner...Such a pretty post!

Littlebakerbunny said...

Love, love, love your shamrocks and green filling! You make beautiful rolled cookies!

Rebecca said...

Yours are so adorable! Love the festive shapes and colors.

Sheri said...

Beautiful, as always.

Di said...

I love your shamrocks! I'm with you--rolling & cutting is definitely my least favorite part of making cookies like these. I don't even like slice & bake cookies. Like you said, I lose interest during the chilling time.

Spike said...

so fun. my boyfriend loves pepper- maybe if I made these he would actually eat dessert! Wouldn't that be lucky?!

Anonymous said...

These green-filled cookies look like they're calling for some mint! I thought about adding some mint extract to my filling, but erred on the side of caution. Beautiful cookies!

Unknown said...

Love the shamrock! Brilliant idea and beautiful presentation, Mike! Great post--so festive!

Jess said...

These are adorable! Love them!

Roadtrek Girl said...

You never cease to amaze me with your creativity ! Very cool.